Tuesday, October 27, 2009

This could have been Me

Below is a link to a story about a drunk woman who wrecked her car with her daughter and some other girls in it, one girl was killed. This is a sad reminder of my past behavior, of what could happen if I step off the road of happy destiny. Once again I am grateful that I never killed or hurt anyone. Every Wednesday night during the school year I use to drive 15 miles to get my daughter from a church group, this would be around 9:30 at night, I imagine I had probably drank a 12 pack by them, who knows because I started drinking at 5:00 everyday, I would take at least 6 cans with me for the drive and even drink beer while waiting for my daughter to get out of group, sometimes I would take her friends home as well, never caring about how much I had drank or about the beer between my legs. This is only one of many examples of doing this kind of behavior, I never went anywhere without at least a 6 pack, I even carried a soft side cooler with me.

Once again "But for the Grace of God, there go I"

I hope this woman gets the help she needs, I am sure the mental agony is huge at this point.

I guess you will have to copy and paste since this didn't show up as a link.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/27/carmen-huertas-drunk-driv_n_335876.html

5 comments:

One Prayer Girl said...

Many years ago when I was still drinking, I remember being on the phone with a friend and I was drunk. I was "in my cups" and decided to drive with my very young daughter to the mall. This woman begged and begged and tried to talk me out of it, but of course I drove there anyway. I was insane. It is only by the grace of God that I never hurt anyone. I never even got a DUI, but I certainly should have.

I am so grateful I am sober.

PG

Tall Kay said...

A very somber reminder of the insanity of alcoholism. I wonder if she even remembers what happened. I met a woman at a meeting who had killed her 7 year old son in a car accident in a blackout...spent 8 years in prison...and started drinking again when she got out. She finally wanted to get sober and found her way to rooms of A.A.

I am so grateful to be sober today! Thanks for the reminder Scott. It is only by God's grace that this isn't part of my story today.

Paula said...

I hoped he would get caught, get a DUI, or being in accident on his heavy bike, not hurting anyone but himself. Not badly just enough to hit rock bottom. Instead he stopped drinking by lack of money. Never hit rock bottom, went to AA for my sake(!!!!!) and is now what? An non-active alcoholic who doesnt seek recovery. Well i do know there a different kind of alcoholics and often I thought I understand him being uneasy at AA as what he actually needs is therapist, for his PTSD. Sharing about his abuse as boy, OH well, I know enough about Al Anon that that is his way and his decision. Big warm hug. Glad you stay at the road to a happiness.

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Fortune would be mine, I was always too poor to own a car while active, so I took the bus, walked, or biked, now sadly I was in a few horrible bike accidents, usually by myself...sadly :-(

I hope she gets the helps she needs and thank you for the reminder of what life could be like, if not for the grace of god.

G