Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Quick Happy Good News post

Somewhere in a past post I wrote about a guy who was in the mental hospital because he drove his ATV into a moving semi and instead of killing himself broke his neck in 3 places. The guy, Jon spent a month and a half in the mental health hospital, he was finally release about a month ago. I hadn't seem him around meetings but then again the only meetings I attend at the club house are 5:15pm meetings and Friday night Living Sober study group. Last night he showed up at the mens meeting with a good old timer friend of mine, he met Jon at the other Friday night meeting and offered to pick him up and take him to the men's meeting and will pick up again tonight and take him to the best meeting in town. Jon is healing really well, the head gear was removed and he can nod his head, he was in really good spirits last night, shared about missing meetings and how nice it was to start going again, he also got some phone numbers. I know he may not stay around but Damn it was good to see him, to see someone sink to the level of depression that he did and then see him smiling and laughing, these things are gifts that recovery bring for the individual and the members who witness the changes. If you were a drunk like I was suicidal thoughts weren't all that uncommon, I never thought of putting a gun to my head because my ex-wife died from suicide and I didn't want my daughter to live knowing both her parents killed themselves but I sure hope a bunch of times that I wouldn't wake up in the morning or that an accident would take my life and end the intense pain and lonilness, so I can empathize with my friend Jon. I wish him the best of luck, the choice is his.

1 comment:

Shadow said...

this was good to read...