Monday, May 18, 2009

Graduation


Friday was damn windy here and if I said I wasn’t a bit apprehensive about the weather for the graduation party on Saturday I would be lying! For the most part I am fairly good at letting things be the way they are suppose to be, there is no action I can take to change the weather. When people would say “hope you have a good party” I would reply “it will turn out the way it is supposed to”. This is a saying that my sponsor taught me early on and is also a reflection of Dharma thinking. Saturday started out a bit chilly with a breeze but by 2:00pm it was beautiful out, slight breeze but not horrible. We had everything set up in time, I had pre-grilled the kabob’s so all I had to do was heat them up on the grill, the salsa and homemade chips were a hit, had a snag with the punch fountain but I knew something wouldn’t go right somewhere along the line and the punch fountain was that one thing. Mich had probably 25 people show up, mostly AA friends, she was happy considering the last minute plans. All in all the day turned out really well. Poor Angel didn’t get a nap in so she was beat by 5:00pm; she was a good girl though and received tons of attention.

The actual graduation was nice, last just under 1-1/2 hours. It was 6 blocks from my house so I just put Angel in the stroller and we walked down. Mich hit a couple of parties afterwards and was home by 10:30, much to my surprise and relief, not a good night for someone who is trying to stay away from alcohol to be out. Mich isn’t a step worker, nor does she have a sponsor, so her defenses aren’t the best but she manages, I stay out of her recovery so what she does is her business.

Not sure what will happen now. From what I can tell Mich will continue to work at the restaurant. She plans on going to college still but hasn’t made a date yet. I think she is waiting to see what happens with Angel’s dad first, he is in treatment and will probably follow that up with a stay in a halfway house. Won’t hurt my feelings any if she holds off one year before going to college, it will give her a chance to get use to living on her own with bills and such, Angel will also be a year older and easier to take care of.

So that’s how the whole graduation panned out.
Until next time.

Peace, Love, Light

2 comments:

steveroni said...

I've heard of SO many graduations (my own included) which turned out SO differently than M's...Thank God! You are doing some "right" things, Daddy-o

Thanks for stopping by my spot and resting a minute.

Shadow said...

your words “it will turn out the way it is supposed to” struck me immediately. the right attitude, the right way, the only way actually. and i'm glad your plans went as smoothly as they did!