Thursday, July 2, 2009

Metta on the Highway

Metta on the highway!! So I am driving down the interstate yesterday headed to Lincoln, other drivers and truckers are starting to trip me out and the line from “Born to be Wild” by Steppenwolf pops into my head, only instead of “Head out on the Highway” my mind sings “Metta on the Highway”. Metta is the Buddhist term for Loving Kindness and a mediation practice, so every time another driver did some thing that wasn’t of “my” prefect style of driving or a trucker was kissing my bumper, hey I am going 80mph in a 75mph, I hum “Metta on the Highway” which gives me a chuckle and defuses my irritation at other drivers.

Yesterday was a God day or maybe just some good karma, I can see it from both insights. My first search for housing was in northwest Lincoln and proved that I couldn’t afford what was available so now I know about that neighborhood. I dropped off my resumes at the 2 treatment centers, the HR person wasn’t available at the first one and at the second one their HR is on leave until August and all hiring and interviewing is on freeze until then. My next stop was at 1 of 2 halfway house facilitators, I filled out a job app, handed in my resume and actually talked to the administrator for a couple of minutes, she told me they are always looking for good help and not to brag but my resume is very good, so I shouldn’t have a problem getting an interview. At the second halfway house I handed my resume to the guy who does the interviews, didn’t talk to him much but at least he got to see a clean cut well dress person submitting an a resume. That evening I talked to a guy I know who works at the second house and he told me they are in the process of interviewing right now, so again I should get an interview. I do really well with interviews, just like when I do an AA presentation I may be all shades of nervous but I come across calm. I am honest in an interview, up beat and positive, so the times I have failed at an interview have been due to lack of qualification. Higher Power works because by nature I am fairly reserved but interviews and presentations are one of those areas where the HP steps, it also helps that I don’t BS, I talk about what I know and from the heart. If I don’t score a job I will be alright, I have to the set my mind that I may not, awareness of expectations.

My friend and I drove around looking for houses for rent in the area of town she lives in, old part of town, but there wasn’t much and what there was, was either too big, too small or a dump. We went to a meeting and I talked to a friend of mine who told me another guy in the fellowship, who I know but not well is a property manager, so I will call him this afternoon and see if he can give me any assistance. The meeting was another God sent, it is a speaker meeting. I really identified with the speaker, he talked about growing up always anxious, oh yeah been there done that I have chapter in the book, he also express his spiritualism as very general, all encompassing not of one ideal or another. I talked to him after the meeting and we hit it off. He just moved to Lincoln a year ago so was relatively new to the area, I talked about being a Buddhist and how I came to be one via the 11th step. We exchanged phone numbers and email addresses, he buzzed one off to me already about get together to visit once I move. I don’t think he is material for a replacement sponsor but he will definitely be someone to hang out with, he invited me to use his mediation studio, he is a novice also. I in turn told him about Kevin Griffin’s book One Breath at a Time which he wants to check out. I have a few friends I connect with in Lincoln but it is really nice to connect with some one on a more intellectual level, he is a literature professor at the University of Nebraska, coffee and a dissection of Grapes of Wrath anyone.

The drive home was good. Nothing exciting which as it should be at 10:00pm thru midnight on an interstate.

Until the next time
Peace Love and Light

2 comments:

Shadow said...

the path seems quite clear...

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.