Monday, July 13, 2009

God lloks after Drunks and Fools

I went to Lincoln today for a 2 job interviews and apartment hunting. The first interview was with a treatment center located in the heart of Lincoln. I did really well with answering the questions concerning conflict resolution between patients, one about a patient who depends on me and know one else for support; conflict resolution is about calming the patient down, getting the bigger picture and explaining to them the differant ways to look at things and being empathetic, if it comes to a patient using me for their only support my response just as in recovery we need a broad network of support and I would suggest other techs for the patient to use. I was asked about my understanding of addiction/alcoholism, my answer comes straight from The Dr. Opinion, I explained that the allergy copled with phenomen of cravings is the easiest way for me to understand it based on my own life as a drunk. There where a few other scenarios I gave my thoughts on. I was asked what I knew about mental health issues, I said not a lot but I do have friends who are bi-polar or suffer from depression and that AA and NA are not the be all and end all, that people need medication to function and that they need to be under doctors care. I don't see things in black and white, so when is questions is posed I reply back for clarification if there is not information. Overall the interview went really well. I used my military experiences and my recovery experiences in serivice work where applicable. I will know by Thursday if I got this job, the only negative is that I have never worked in a treatment fiscility before.
The second interview was similar but with less questions. The administrator had already decided to hire me. The only problem is I would be driving 45 minutes to work and the pay isn't that great. Granted I am taking a big pay cut in changing careers but I also don't want to be too scraped for money if I am spending a lot on gas. I told her I was waiting to hear back from the other treatment center before I make my decision. So God did provide me with a job if the one closeer doesn't hire me. I will take the less paying job in hopes of good raise after my probation period and since it is just the dog and me we can live pretty cheap. My foot would be in the door and that is what would count.
I had pretty much resign to the fact that I would be living in an apartment for a year because the rent is cheap than a house, I would have to rent a storage unit for some of my tools, camping gears and other keep sake stuff but that would still be cheaper than a house. Last night I was on Craigslist getting info on listed apartments, they needed to be pet friendly, my Maltese Poodle is coming with me, she is my baby and was a huge part of my early recovery. I found one duplex for rent in my price range also. I checked out one apartment and it was alright, nice location, parking, bit of storage, nice balcony but the one thing I don't like about apartments is you have to use onsight laundry, which meant going down to the basement where there was only one coin op washer and dryer, it has been a long time since I have had to use a laundrymat and wasn't looking forward to doing it again, but once again it was something I was going to have to accept. Later in the afternoon I looked at the duplex and for a bit more money I get a big yard, nice driveway, a washer and dryer, bigger kitchen, plus I can put a shed on the property as long as it isn't a permanent structure. I went ahead a put a deposit on the duplex of course, it is also in a good location and good neighborhood, also I am going to try and swing a deal to take care of the yard work, since I will bring my mower and gardening tools with me.
So God provide for me today. I thanked those who said a prayer in my behalf and thanked God for providing for this recoverying drunken fool!!!

Peace Love and Light
Scott

2 comments:

Shadow said...

i'm with you in the understanding the 'allergy' concept. i now understand that there has been an irreversable chemical change in my brain, and i will never, never, never be able to drink 'normally' again. even if the triggers, the past, the original causes have been removed, that change can never be undone, and thus, i'm allergic now. end. of. story.

good luck with the job, the house hunting, the changes, the move. but i do get the feeling someone's looking out for you. love and hugs!

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.