Thursday, January 27, 2011

7:00am Coffee, Smokes and Hershey's Huggets

Hershey's owes me a dime for mentioning their product here:-) Been munching a lot on these bit sized pieces of chocolate with almonds in them. Being frugal they are a better value than the Kisses, more weight per bag and cheaper by about $.50 per bag. My sleep pattern has really be off of late, most mornings I am up by 7, think it is the anxiety of the unknown. I have also been in bed by 9 most nights, so really I am getting the sleep I need. Positive is, if I get a job working day shift I won't have to fight getting up because I change my sleep pattern while I wasn't working.

Tricia listed my blog as one of the Top 96 Blogs for Recovering Alcoholics”, here is her website, http://www.phdprograms.org/top-96-blogs-for-recovering-alcoholics She also list a couple of our other friends. One is Big Karen who stopped writing last year for personal reasons, I really miss her and hope things are going well for her, her post were very honest and enlightening, I was honored to be her cyber friend.

Tuesday I had a telephone interview for a supply buyers job. The job is with a big manufacture. I feel the interview went fairly well, I know my stuff when it comes to buying, how sometimes it is as much about service and rapport with vendors as it is pricing. The whole phone interview was a bit awkward, I kind of flub up the 18 month career change from manufacturing to human services. I like doing face to face interviews, this way when it comes to personal stuff I can kind of read the person/persons asking the questions, just makes me more comfortable. I now have to wait and see if they want to do a face to face interview. I won't know anything about the cattle company job until next week, bummer dude but that is how it goes.

Yesterday I was back in Kearney. I did the application process with another employment agency. I really hit it off with the manager who did the interviewing. We got to talking about addiction, mainly meth. She moved out here from Arizona, she said meth is really bad there. She also comes from a family of addicts, some are in recovery and others are sick and dying. She had a promising lead for a buyers position in Holdrege NE, 30 miles southwest of Kearney. She said the company is small and very friendly with an atmosphere of people who enjoy their work, one in which my personality would fit in with. With any luck I will have an interview with them next week. Today I will make some calls to see if there are any apartments or houses for rent in Holdrege. Not counting on the job but I still need to do a bit of investigative footwork on the housing front just in case I would get it.

I checked on HUD housing for mom while I was in Kearney, killing time before a AA meeting, Angel and Carter were both taking naps. Got good news on this front. My mom's assets don't go against her moving into a HUD apartment, the price of the apartment is solely based on her income, which is her Social Security payment. She would be paying about $300.00 a month, no utility bills, other than phone and TV. I called mom and told her this and she was really happy. There is a 3-4 month waiting list, I will get her enrolled this morning. She feels rather bad about wanting to follow me, kind of embarrassed but she feels she would be happier back in Kearney, plus knows I will call her and visit her, where as my sister down her won't. She also has a younger sister in Kearney who is really good about taking her shopping or to appointments, mom provides her car for this. Moving her again isn't a big deal, but we will have to have a garage sale to get rid of a bunch of stuff if she is going to move into an apartment.

I have been rereading Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, which is a brief history of the early years based mainly on Bill W's talks at the 20th anniversary convention. I love the history, the stories about Dr. Bob and the other old timers, the Divine insights they had, how even when they had troubles getting others to sober up, they themselves stayed sober by working with other drunks. I also love the discussion on the traditions, which is probably the most important part of the book. This is what I read last night; " Pride, fear and anger---these are the prime enemies of our common welfare. True brotherhood, harmony, and love, fortified by clear insights and right practice, are the only answers. And the purpose of AA's traditional principles is to bring these forces to the top and keep them there. Only then can our common welfare be served; only then can AA's unity become permanent."

It is very true that pride, fear and anger cause a lot of problems in groups but thanks to the traditions things get worked out for the common good of the whole. I look at these as also the stumbling block for individuals and business companies, well actually any organization. If I allow my pride, fear and anger to go unchecked or unresolved, then I am going to create havoc, havoc at work, at home and society at large.

On the other hand if we practice true brotherhood/sisterhood, harmony and love problems/challenges seem to work themselves out. The world is to filled with "one upmanship", with "F-U I am right, you are wrong" attitudes. It doesn't take much paying attention to realize are a lot of people in the world who do not believe in compromise, brotherhood/sisterhood, harmony and love. These negative/wrongful attitudes are found in our homes, churches, businesses, communities, entertainment, government, you can add to the list. They rip apart the very fiber of a peaceful life which is available to all.

Now I am not saying I am perfect nor are organizations which incorporate the principles of compassion and loving kindness. It just seems to me the individuals and organizations which strive to do this on a daily base are more successful in the long run. If my family and I practice these principles we can't help but have an effect on others who come into our lives, whether it be friends, the cashier, the cop, co-workers, so on and so forth. What I guess I am trying to say is, when we apply positive or spiritual principles to our daily lives not only do we get better but the world gets better, even if Fox, MSNBC and CNN prefer to take the low road. It is easy to get caught up in the "F-U" attitude but with mindfulness I can counteract the attitude. For me it is something as simple as correcting negative words towards other drivers or media personalities I dislike. I am not perfect but I am progressing if only slowly some days.

Hope everyone one is feeling a bit of the Sunlight of the Spirit!! Until next time.

Peace Love and Light
Scott

4 comments:

Lori said...

Something that I really appreciate about reading your posts is that you are not only open and honest but you keep a great attitude. I like that you apply love and harmoney to everything in your life. It really does work as it is something I practice also.

I pray that whatever job you are suppose to be at that you will open that door with confidence. I think it's good that your mom would be near you...it's commendable to see a guy looking after his mom as it should be. I could see my sons doing this for me...especially since they are pretty protective of me.

I really do believe that when one door closes another door opens...sometimes it's a door that we would least expect and yet the best thing for us.

Now that you have made me hungry for hershey kisses with almonds I wish you many blessings on this journey of yours. Smiles and hugs. XX

Shadow said...

i just love your post title!!! mind if i join you??

Paula said...

Like Lori said: one door closes and another one opens'. I sometimes feel the other door is open already yet we stare so long and hard at the closed door that we dont see the open one. Keeping my fingers crossed for your interviews. Love and hugs

Paula said...

Passing by to show some love. Hope you are doing ok.