Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Job

Well the day finally arived and I went to work at the treatment center!! For the most part yesterday morning was spent doing paperwork and going over policies. I met some people who's names I have forgotten already. I met with the director also and she went over the job, we both agreed it seems overwhelming at first. There is lots of documentation, documenting clients behaviors, verbal and non-verbal, documenting any problems with the fascility in general. talked about what is the proper way to interact and correct clients, she emphasized that the Tech's are to be role models for the clients. I have a healthy manual I have to read and understand, did I say it seems a bit overwhelming? I am not concerned though, the one thing about being sober is I understand it takes time to get comfortable with change and not to let the fears and concerns control me, things will come with practice and understanding and I am not expected to know every thing overnight. The famous line from "How it Works" comes up, "spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection" I have used this line a lot in my life, not just for spiritual matters but personal as well. When my impatiences and prefectionism rears it's ugly head I have to understand it is progress and sometimes progress is slow, main thing is I have to do the footwork, one of my favorite sayings is "faith without works is dead" I am not privileged to the Higher Power doing quick fixes in my life, the Higher Power and I are a team so It needs my assistance for my progress and also your assistance, flying solo is dangerous for this ex-drunk. The longer I stay sober the more I enlist others help and advise with living situations even the personal ones, my pain level has grown smaller so I do the footwork to ease the pain, if nothing else by sharing the pain I am getting it out of my head, I may still be in pain but it is a pain shared and I have the support I need, the reassurance that God will take care of things maybe not the way I want and I will be alright in the end.
So this brings it around to the one weak point in the whole job. I only get paid once a month and that is at the end of the month. I have never had a job that only paid once and month and was completely caught off guard when I was told this. My expectation was that I would be paid at least every 2 weeks, so I did some really poor planning in the money department, no one to blame but me, I blew money I should have been saving. It will be a tough few months while I am learning a new budget scheme. I talked to my mom and she will help out, basically I will borrow money from her as need be and then pay it back. I am blessed that I have my mom to fall back on and that our relationship is strong, thanks to being sober. Also I am grateful my relationship with N isn't based on material things, going out to eat or out on the town for entertainment, she is comfortable having me cook the meals and going for a walk in the park, we also are alright with just sitting around watching a movie, it is nice to be able to go out and we will when we can afford to but she knows as well as I do that if we get ourselves in financial trouble from spending money unwisely that might create a riff in the relationship, her kids and Mich understand this too, there are plenty of things we can do that don't cost a lot.
Went a differant meeting last night, really good and much better than the one I went to last Tuesday. Tonight I am going to check out and differant meeting also, I don't mind the Wednesday night meeting I have attended in the past,but it hasn't really gelled with me so I am going to check out a differant one that was recommended to me.
Well that's all for now, I have a staff meeting this afternoon, I work tomorrow and again Monday mid day shift, my boss is going to see if he can get me some more hours next week, mostly shadowing the other tech's.

Peace Love and Light
Scott

2 comments:

DM said...

Inspiring post, once again.

And btw, I want your job.

~Sarah

Shadow said...

your job sounds like a dream job. i would love to do something like that. and surely, working in such an environment, can only be beneficial to one's own growth, awareness and sobriety too...