Thursday, August 13, 2009

Something to write about.

I didn't get to bed until 2:30am and for some reason I woke up at 7:00am laid in bed until 8:00am and finally said the hell with it and got up. We are going camping this weekend so I cooked the sausage and bacon for breakfast burritos, I cook the meat, onions and peppers ahead of time, then scramble the eggs uncooked so all I have to do at the campsite is put the mixture in a frying pan to cook the eggs and within minutes the mixture is ready to put on a hot tortilla with salsa and cheese, camp out favorite and easier and quicker than tradition bacon, eggs and pancakes. We are head up to the northeast part of the state this time, along the same river that we tubed down, only no tubing this. The second largest lake in Nebraska is located in this area so we are going to check it out and do some swimming, there are bunch of nature trails for hiking and walking mediation, the Ponca tribe is having a Pow Wow so some of us if not all will check that out as well. It will be a good weekend, I don't have to work tomorrow so I am going to Kearney early, spend time with my mom, Mich and Angel then help N get her things and the kids ready, she is working most of the afternoon and it is a 4 hour drive to the campsite, so the sooner we can leave the better.

Today's daily reflection had this quote from the 12 and 12, " and third, having cleaned away the debris of the past, we consider how, with our new found knowledge of ourselves,we may develop the best possible relations with every human being we know." I found this very interesting considering what I have been doing the last few days. Thanks to God and working the 12 steps in my life on a consistent bases, I have been able start new relations with my fellow techs and the client's. God has given me the communication skills necessary to interact with new people, as a Buddhist I can also accredit this to my ancestor's mainly my dad and his dad. Of the 6 tech's O have worked with so far only one of them is in recovery and she is on day shift and I have been working evenings/nights, the others are also in their 20's, so my experience as a practicing drunk and a recovering drunk gives me insight that the others don't have. There have been a couple of times when I have been able to rephrase a question that has made the question easier for the to the client to relate to and their understand how their alcoholism and addiction has effected their lives. I also I talk to them about meetings, the Big Book, what they are going through and some of their feelings giving them a connection because I have walked in their shoes. I don't try and "one up" my fellow techs, I just use my talents to help as they use their talents to help. I speak from the heart which is the only way I really know how to do. I had a concerning going into this job about being able to share with the clients without revealing too much about my own past but God has seen fit to give me the awareness of my words, so I don't use "I" or "My" I just talk in general using suggestions from my knowledge, the exception being I have asked a few people how they liked a meeting and made a suggestion or 2 about other meetings I like. I have done alright on the paperwork, one of the techs gave me some helpful advice on how to do it until I become completely comfortable with documentation. I like all the techs, they are easy to get along with and very helpful. They possess a positive attitude that was greatly lacking in my manufacturing job. It is so awesome to go to work and work with people who are not constantly bitching about fellow employees or management. They are also more liberal in their ideals which is an added bonus. All this comes from the God of my understanding and I am grateful for that!!!!!!

God has been answering prayers again. N got hired yesterday for a job that involves assisting family who are under the Department of Health and Human Services care. The people she works with do so on a volunteer bases, she will be assisting them to meet DHHS and court order goals for family improvement and if the family is separated via foster care re-unification. This is a job she has experience in because she lived the life of most of her clients. Three years ago her kids where in foster care, she was just getting clean and sober. Two years ago she got her kids back because she did what was necessary and was willing to take the action needed, both in recovery and via DHHS requirements, she has seen many counselors and still has a family counselor come in weekly to assist with family issues, a good thing when you are raising 2 teenage kids on your own. So now N will have a job where she can put her experience, strength and hope to good use, serve God and community. I was honored to be the first person she called to tell the good news to, I told her how proud I am of her, she has come a long way. Another ironic twist of fate that we are both now doing jobs that involve working with others who were once like us, something that bonds us closer in our presuit for living a spiritual life.

Well that is what is going on. I need to jump in the shower, then take care of some house work and other things for the camp out. Thanks to all who read this and all who comment.

Peace Love and Light
Scott

3 comments:

One Prayer Girl said...

I am not a camping person, but if I were, your trip this weekend sounds like it will be wonderful. I hope you have a terrific time.

PG

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DM said...

Ok wolfie... 5 days, no post, and I know you're there 'cause you're reading mine, lol!

Anywho, thanks for the email! Stay in touch.

Funny how we are both starting new lives...