Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coming Together

Hey campers, I hope each and everyone of you is going well. Sorry I can't post comments on your post like I use to but hopefully in a few weeks I will be back to regular routines.

I just got back from Omaha. The court hearing for Mich and the babies was this morning. For now she gets custody back, she will be watched 24 hours a day for now under the supervision of a case worker. This is a compromise deal made between her public defender and the state. What her PD is trying to do make this a case about a young mother under a lot of pressure due to having a special needs baby and not always being able to focus on the toddler. Which in essence is what is really happening. With Carter in ICU, it is hard to take Angel with her all the time and sometimes Angel gets mad about going in there and throws a temper tantrum. Mich is having a bit of a hard time with balancing them both. If all goes the way it was outlined this morning, Mich will be back in Kearney in a couple of weeks with both kids, she will be getting special aid from DHHS to assist her with taking care of both babies. The case will be review in a couple of weeks and the final descion made at that time, contingent upon how things go. This was a "win win" compromise, the state still gets to monitor and see if Mich is neglecting Angel and Mich gets to have the babies with her instead of them going into a foster home. I am unable to provide the daily contact the state wants Mich and Angel to have since I am moving 80 miles away and am with out a steady income at this time. Angel also needs to be with her mommy and even grandpa instead of living with a stranger. I get very sad when I thinking about my baby and how confusing this must all be to her.

Carter's father Matt is out of the picture as far as getting custody is concerned. Besides his criminal record, he would fail a UA, his parents house where he lives would not be approved for children because it is a nasty mess, also his parent and him work long hours. It isn't that we don't want Matt involve in his son's life it is just not in the best interest of Carter.

I will be loading the car up shortly. I took one load down last Saturday. Thank God for a station wagon because I can load quite a bit in it and also on top. It looks Beverly Hillbillies as hell but it works. This weekend Lady B and me are coming down to do the last load and finish cleaning.

I moved my mom last week. She is happy with her new home. She has given me rein over the yard and shed. The shed is awesome, with plenty of room for my stuff and hers, so me moving into an apartment isn't biting too hard. This will be the first time since the late 80's I haven't had a yard. Mom's yard is wonderful with nice flower beds and a spot for a vegetable garden, this will be my baby and I will take good care of it.

Well I am still in limbo on the job. Since I will be transporting kids all over the state of Nebraska, the agency I will be working for has to file an exemption due to having 2 DUI's in a short period of time. They want me and I want to work for them so we are proceeding, it could take 4 to 6 weeks for the exemption to be approved. If need be they will contact AA members for references, people who will vouch for me and my dedication to recovery and helping others. in the mean time I will have to find a part time job because the money is running out. There are a lot of hotels in North Platte so maybe I can land a job working at the front desk. There are also temp agencies and stores looking for help. Just another case of trusting my God and doing the footwork.

All is good with Lady B and me. I realized yesterday driving down how nice it has been living with someone again and how I am going to miss the daily contact. It made me understand that as much as I don't care for it I have a codepent side to me. I still do the happy house husband gig, keeping dishes, laundry and cleaning up while she works and cooking. Doing this during this time of not working has been a God sent, if I was staying alone in Lincoln I would be smoking way too much and blowing money I don't have just to stay entertained, granted the weather is finally nice enough for me to spend time in the parks and there are meetings but not enough to keep me busy on long dazes.

I admit I am stubborn about wanting to work in the social services field and holding out a bit longer than I should but since I am able I don't want to start a job to turn around and quit because a job in a field I really want to work in comes along.

On the recovery front. I have a speaking gig tomorrow night with a couple of ladies. We are talking to the nursing college about alcoholism and recovery. This is an informal panel lecture that I started a couple of years ago, so since my schedule is open I was asked to speak again with my friends who have done the past lectures with me. This is an honor and I love talking to the students. Nurses are on the front line in the medical field and really need to understand alcoholism. They need to understand the insanity of it, the selfishness of the active alcoholic and also how the alcoholic can get better.

Well I better get may ass in gear. Take care me friends. Remember nothing is permanent even if we feel the storm is going to last forever it never does, even rocks change over time.

Peace, Love and Light in fellowship of the Spirit
Scott

Thanks for all your prayers, positive energy and what ever mojo you are sending my way and those in my life!!

6 comments:

DM said...

Hi Scott,

I am so sorry to read about Mich. I, too, haven't been visiting my blog peeps as much either. TM and I broke up and I am downright miserable about it right now. It seems we both are going through a rough patch. But things turn around, right? I mean, they just have to! And yay for you and Lady B, it gives me hope. Visit me soon, I miss you!

Hugs from MI,
Sarah

Unknown said...

Hey Scott I hear your post right now is a rough time for many and many changes are on the front for many to come, not easy always but well worth it in the end.

I send you many hugs and so grateful for your attitude and sobriety and your care, glad to hear that life is still okay in Nebraska, much love
g

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shadow said...

busy, busy, busy. but good! great to hear!

Paula said...

HI Scott, plenty going on in your life and I keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us updated on Mich and the kids. Happy to hear about Lady B and you. As Gabi said, great to know that life in nebraska is still okay. Hugs across the pond

Kara said...

Keep up the great work. I can definitely relate to your post. Addiction is a serious illness that affects adolescents just like it does adults. I also think it is important to understand what it really means to be an alcoholic and the steps to recovery. I’ve found Silver Hill Hospital’s adolescent substance abuse treatment to be very informative and helpful in the recovery process.