Friday, March 4, 2011

Coming Together

"Coming together right now over/under me", apologies to John Lennon.

Well I have job. Yesterday I had an interview with a manufacturer, use to work for them back in the 90's. I got hired on to work second shift as a press brake operator once all the background stuff is complete, I will start on the 14th. They are going balls out right now, 11-1/2 hour days, 6 days a week. It will be rough to begin with but I am sure with my determination I will be fine, or maybe F.I.N.E for a few weeks. Nice thing about 2nd shift is I can still look for other jobs and do interviews without missing work.

Having said this, I use this phrase a lot don't I, I had a good interview Tuesday in a town 25 miles north of Kearney, hears the story. Tuesday I had an interview for the Safety Coordinators job and was going from there to Kearney to get my mobile home later in the afternoon. The route to Kearney put me in a town where I had sent my resume a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard anything back from this company and thought what the hell why don't I stop in and see if the position has been filled, my stopping in lead to an interview. The CEO hadn't even started taking a hard look at the resume's nor done any interviews, he took the time to give me a nice long interview and I felt really good when I left. In the past I wouldn't have had the courage to stop in unannounced to check on a job prospect, learning to trust my Higher Power has changed this, basically "nothing ventured, nothing gained and don't take "no's" personally", so I put fears in the trunk and made the stop. His job description on the internet didn't accurately describe what he was looking for, job posting was for "fuel and oil sales person" by sitting down with the man it became apparent I had more to offer him than I expected. What he is really looking for is a manager, who can sell fuel and oil. The job is with a farmers cooperative, they sell fuel (gasoline, diesel and propane) to farmers, they sell and repair tires , service vehicles and pivot irrigation systems. I would have to learn all aspects of the job, start as a worker in each area, once I had total comprehension of the areas then I would move up to assistant manager for this department, the manager is retiring in a couple of years so the assistant manager is being groomed to take his place, $55K annual job. The blessing of stopping in was, I have worked with tires and servicing vehicles before but it isn't on my resume because it was almost 30 years ago, tire machines haven't changed much in this time, I told him I could change a tire right now it he wanted me to. We talked about my management background, my understanding of agriculture, about me getting a CDL so I can drive a fuel truck. I told him I was moving to Kearney, he asked me "if we bought you a house in Ravenna would you move here"? I told him in a heart beat and in fact I had lived in Ravenna in the past. Job pays very well with an outstanding benefit package. I will call him Monday and see what his decision is. If it is "no" then I will be operating a press brake for awhile.

I loaded the Explorer down with pretty much essentials on Wednesday and I am officially living in Kearney. I am grateful I am a camper because I have double air mattress to sleep on until I get my bed moved down, probably next weekend. My t.v and dvd player are sitting on the coffee table, computer is on an end table and I am sitting on a lawn chair, actually the computer goes between the end table and my lap depending on what I am doing. Today is cold and windy so I didn't go and get a load, tomorrow is suppose to be much nicer, I have to pay attention to the wind because it has a big effect on the MPG's of the Explorer, so I will get another load tomorrow, about 75% of the apartment is packed up. Next week I will go back, spend a day cleaning, rent a rug doctor to clean the carpets, just have to shift furniture from one side of the room to the other.

The trailer is alright, living room is nice sized, have a nice room for my library/office/kids toy room, small room for storage and my bedroom is big enough for this one person. My dog loves being able to be outside again, I have her leash attached to the deck so she can walk around or just lay outside. Since I lived on the 2nd floor of the apartment the only time she got to go outside was when I took her out, I didn't like having her on the balcony, now I just put her on the leash and leave her be, only while I am home of course. The down side of the trailer is; of the 8 kitchen cabinets, none of which are very big, only 2 have a shelf, so I will have to get some wire shelf racks, also there are only 3 drawer in the kitchen. When my cash flow gets better I will find a buffet cabinet or china cabinet to put in the kitchen. My mom has a big plastic cabinet in the garage which isn't being used, I will move it down here, put it in the storage room and put extra kitchen stuff in it. The bathroom also lacks storage, has only under sink storage, no medicine cabinet, I will get one of those plastic drawer units for it, they don't look too bad if you keep them clean. I will also put up shelves in the living room for my knick knacks, the brackets and stained wood isn't that expensive and it will add an attractive border to the room. This is all just minor stuff, all in all I am happy with the place. I am grateful to have a yard once again and a shed for my tools.

I have jumped back into Kearney AA. Went to district meeting Saturday, I will take part on the committee to host the state reunion in 2012 if we get the bid. If my schedule allows I will start going back to the jail meetings. I reconnected with an old timer buddy of mine who is visually impaired, we started a Living Sober meeting a few years ago, each week we would read a chapter from the book Living Sober. He stopped going when I moved away and asked if I would take him again, of course I will.

Everything I have written is a direct result of living sober, living the steps and practicing spiritual living to the best of my ability. I have my crappy dazes, days of some despair, some confusion and a bit of poor me anger but they don't last long. My motto's of late have been, "it is what it is", "faith without works is dead" and "this to shall pass". One unchecked thought can make everything disappear. Well campers, I need to get my ass in gear and call my Episcopalian priest buddy and see if he has time to chat, thinking of asking him to be my sponsor. Got to love AA, a Buddhist asking an Episcopalian priest to be his sponsor, man if that isn't traditions and steps in action, no ego intended.

Peace, Love and Light and if life is treating you shitty remember "this to shall pass"!!!

4 comments:

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes sir, 'This, too, shall pass.' It always does, doesn't it?

Sounds like your life is filled with lots of action. I'm pulling for you, Scott. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

You know this as we've both seen this on FB..the universe is mysterious and wide...without our sobriety life would not open up to it as it has...being that we now have the room to breath and live again that is just what it does...

Much peace and care being sent to you for you..it will all work out as it is supposed too!

Paula said...

This post simply makes me happy. The way how you appreciate yourself, your sobriety, your choices and chances. Hugs and love