Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reunion Weekend

It is 10am and Lady B is still sleeping like a rock, no kids this weekend, hers or Angel. She has had a stressful few days and really needs the sleep, as for me, well something about growing old has stopped me from sleeping in the way I use to. There was a time when I could sleep in until 10 or later but anymore I am usually up by 8:30 even if I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, kind sucks but that's the way it is.

Later on we are taking the 5 1/2 hour drive up to Sioux City Iowa. My old Air Guard branch is holding a reunion. It has been 9 years since I have been up there. 9 years ago I was fully into my Alcoholism. In those years I never made the drive without beer in the car and between my legs, I drank on the way up, I would start drink on Saturday as soon as drill was over, usually 3pm. My deployments with the unit were one big drinking vacation as well. None of my friends know what a sober Scott is like and to be honest it will be a challenge for me interacting with them sober, not sure how much we have in common with being sober and them drinking. Not many of my old friends are heavy drinkers, for most it is just part of the escapism that comes with being a Weekend Warrior.

We have a hotel room for the night, if it starts getting too crazy we will head on back to it. I know both of us could use some hot tub therapy. There has been a lot of drama at work, so the hot tub will be a good way to message the drama away.

I am glad I have Lady B to go with me. I am sure I could have handled this without her and without drinking but it is nice to have another in recovery there. I am spiritually fit but like I mentioned the guard was a big drinking event in the past. I want to be there because the unit and the people in it are a big part of my past, one I enjoyed to the fullest, even without being drunk. When we worked together we were like a well oiled machine, there was great camaraderie. It will be nice to hear what has happened in my friends lives.

Well the bear has awaken and is in the process of transforming into a lamb, I made a second pot of coffee to assist since I drank the first one. Really she isn't that bad just takes a few minutes, cigarette and coffee for her to get fully awake and clear headed.

Have a great weekend my friends
Peace Love and Light
Scott

2 comments:

Paula said...

Of course it is nice to have a dear one one your side! I beleive you will have a great time at this reunion! Hugs from Munich

peet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.