Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gratitude Check

Reviewing my past post there is a thread of discontentment going through them which isn't a true reflection of me, these are just things that I needed to write out for my own peace of mind, releasing by writing. I am positive and optomistic 98% of the time, I am not optomistic about the state of the nation or the economy but I take a pragmatic approach to that, we have way over spent, part of this was caused by a un-needed war, out sourcing of American jobs, being heavily indept to China, unaffordablity of health care(the small company I work for dropped employer supported health care last year due to the cost), general cost of living, fuel cost, just to name a few. In my personal life though I stay positive and upbeat but like everyone else there are certain things which bring me down on occasion but I deal with them as soon as I recognize what is happening.
Graditude: that I survive years of heavy drinking and driving under the influence and that I never hurt anyone while under the influence,
That I have a job that provides me with a comfortable income
That I am fairly healthy
That I have a good relationship with my daughter
That I have a beautiful granddaughter who thinks the world of her grandpa
That I have the privilege to legally drive
That I have the privilege to vote
That I have the privilege to worship the religion of my choice
That the 1st Amendment is still intact for the most part
That I am capable of taking care of my parents in their time of need and paying them back for all the years they took care of me
That I own my own dwelling, no morgage, that I can afford to pay my essential bills
That I can afford to eat decent meals
That I have running water, heat for when it gets cold and a/c for when it gets extremely hot
That I have found a path that I enjoy walking which helps me live in the moment, be aware of self/ego and gives me tools regain my inter peace when I replace it with fear.
These are just a few of the things I am grateful for, I could go on a lot longer, listing my dog, bed, music library, reading material library etc. Sometimes it is important to just reflect on what I really have and am truly grateful for and blessed to have. If all of this goes away tomorrow I hope I will have the strength to carry on being positive knowing none of these things are essential for true happiness.
Namaste
Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. :o)

simon jacobs said...

Whittled down to essentials.

I have a similar mental list.

Thanks for you comments about the
report on my AA meetings.

I am focusing on the fellowship
and not the "god squad".

I am there meet folks who are going
through what I am going through.

Pete.